Non-Alcoholic Beverages Brands Industry Overview
Non-alcoholic beverages, categorized into soft drinks and hot drinks, are popular options today, resulting in an industry revenue of US $1.34T in 2022. Currently, the largest market segment of this industry is the soft drink section with a market volume of US$0.90tn.
The Non-alcoholic Beverages Category
Subcategories of Non-alcoholic Beverages include: Coffee, Ginger Beer, Kombucha, Carbonated Drinks, Sports & Energy Drinks, Tea, Juice, Water, Hot Cocoa & Chocolate, Cocktail Mix, and Non-Alcoholic Other
Some experts also break down non-alcoholic beverages into the following functional groupings:
- Stimulating Beverages (Tea, coffee, energy drinks)
- Refreshing Beverages (colas, soda, sparkling water, tonic water, mineral water, syrup)
- Nourishing beverages (milk, hot chocolate, juice, mocktails, Fruestas, cocoa, milkshakes, and smoothies)
Most Consumed Non-alcoholic Beverages
While there are three subcategories of Non-alcoholic Beverages, it's worth mentioning the most Consumed products in this area. These include:
- Water: Water is the world's most consumed beverage mostly due to being essential for life. Additionally, it is hydrating, easy to acquire, and free of calories. While the global population consumes water in different forms, the World Health Organisation estimates that 74% of the global population (5.8 billion people) hydrate themselves via a safely managed drinking-water service.
- Coffee: Coffee is considered the world's most consumed Non-alcoholic beverage in many variants including Espresso, Cappuccino, and latte. Additionally, the National Coffee Association of U.S.A revealed that 7 in 10 Americans drink coffee weekly, meaning 62% consume the substance daily.
- Milk: Milk is an essential food item that's rich in calcium and is recommended for stronger bones and healthier bodies. According to the International Dairy Food Association, the average American consumed 655 pounds of dairy in milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and butter, all various forms of milk. Additional research also reveals that 42% of U.S. high school students drink at least one serving of milk daily.
- Tea: Tea is popular for its pleasant smell and is prepared by pouring boiling water over cured or fresh leaves of specific plants. This variety leads to the production of options like green tea, herbal tea, and black tea. According to statistics, the per capita consumption of tea was at 400 grams in 2020, with the US consuming over 3.8 billion gallons of the beverage.
- Soft Drinks: Soft drinks offer an exciting medium for hydration as the mixture of fluids and sugar provides the mind with pleasurable sensations. Some common examples of soft drinks include Pepsi, Coke, and 7-Up, and statistics show that 63% of adults aged 18 or older reported drinking sugar-sweetened beverages once daily or more.
Largest Non-alcoholic Beverage Brands
As of January 7th, 2022, the World's Top Non-Alcoholic Beverages brands according to Market value include:
- Nestlé: With a Market Value of 372.720 Billion USD (Jan-07-2022) and operations in 191 countries, Nestle AG is one of the world’s largest food and non-alcoholic beverage companies. It currently has over 2000 brands ranging from global household products to local preferred FMCG options.
- Coca-Cola: Coca-Cola is a Multinational Non-Alcoholic Beverages Company based in the USA. Its primary product includes a long line of soft drinks, earning it a Market Value of 260.590 Billion USD (Jan-07-2022).
- PepsiCo: With a Market Value of 240.690 Billion USD (Jan-07-2022 2), PepsiCo is recognized as one of the world's leading food and non-alcoholic beverage companies. The company currently has 22 brands with each generating the company over 1 billion USD in estimated annual retail sales.
- Starbucks: Starbucks is America's most popular beverage company, selling coffee via multiple reputable coffee shops. Currently, more than 28000 Starbucks coffee shops exist globally, resulting in a Market Value of 126.200 Billion USD (Jan-07-2022).
- Keurig Dr. Pepper: Keurig Dr. Pepper is a popular producer of Coffee and other Beverages in America, with its headquarters in Texas, USA. The company currently has branches in the USA, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia, resulting in a Market Value of 52.89 Billion USD (Jan-07-2022).
Emerging Non-Alcoholic Beverage Brands
Emerging Non-Alcoholic Beverage Brands are also a relevant segment of the space to watch in order to understand consumer trends, as well as industry growth and innovation. According to Helio’s universal brandview data, as of Jun 23, 2022 the following pet products brands are some of those with the highest potential for growth:
- Culture Pop Soda which produces “soda you can feel good about”, with an emphasis on gut health, saw a 709% increase in retail door growth and a 181% increase in social followers.
- Sanzo, a sparkling water brand with natural ingredients and real fruit, inspired by Asian flavors, and also happens to be a CircleUp Growth Partners portfolio company, saw a 2,000% increase in retail doors and an 82% increase in social followers.
- De La Calle!, a fermented beverage made from the peel and the rind of pineapples that is called tepache, is in the $1-5M revenue range, and saw a 155% increase in retail doors, and a 290% increase in social followers.
- Inotea, which makes canned bubble tea drinks and is in the $1-5M revenue range, saw a 234% increase in retail doors and a 271% increase in review count.
- Poppi, which makes probiotic sodas with apple cider vinegar and is popular on TikTok, is in the $10-20M revenue range, and saw a 600% increase in revenue, as well as a 215% increase in review count and a 71% increase in social followers.
Non-Alcoholic Beverage Startups in the News
Emerging non-alcoholic beverage brands are as relevant as their larger counterparts since they directly influence the market and introduce innovations. Some noteworthy brands with recent funding headlines in the space include:
- Ghia: Ghia is a popular manufacturer of non-alcoholic aperitifs made with Riesling white grape juice concentrate. Founded in 2019, the brand gained traction with $480,000 seed funding from Cleo capital and other investors in 2019.
- Lyre’s Spirit Co.: Currently located northwest of London in Rickmansworth, Lyre’s Spirit Co. produces non-alcoholic spirits like gin, bourbon, absinthe, and more. Furthermore, Lyre’s Spirit Co. raised $27.27 million of VC venture funding in November 2021.
- Drink Monday: The Drink Monday team revolutionized whisky for anyone interested in the beverage but wants to remain sober or is dealing with health issues. The startup raised $250,000 of equity crowdfunding via SI Securities.
- Ritual Zero Proof: Ritual Zero Proof is popular for manufacturing non-alcoholic gin, rum, tequila, and whiskey through complex processes. In 2020, a year after incorporation, the company raised an undisclosed amount of venture funding from Distil Ventures.
- TÖST: TÖST is a reliable option for beverages made from an all-natural blend of ginger, white tea, and white cranberry. With the startup located in Dorset, Vermont, TÖST raised $360,000 of equity crowdfunding in October 2021.
Trends Influencing Non-alcoholic Beverages
The non-alcoholic beverages industry has experienced steady growth as customer preference changes and the market grows. These changes and growths are propelled by multiple factors and the five most noteworthy reasons include:
- Increased demand for functional beverages as knowledge of health and wellness risks increase
- Higher disposable income from customers increases discretionary expenses, resulting in more demand for premium products
- Higher demand for eco-friendly products and sustainable packaging
- Healthier dietary choices promoter by veganism and gluten allergies
- Increased demand for energy in developing countries compels the consumption of healthier food for increased productivity